All Wrapped Up, a Summer-Weight Knit Dress

I decided to design and knit a summer-weight dress out of cotton/linen blend yarn (Camila from Elann). I used US size 3 needles for the body and trim and size 1 1/2s for the inside of the hem.

All Wrapped Up

I knit the dress in pieces (front and back) from the skirt down with a provisional cast on. Then I removed the cast on and knit the top. I ended up knitting three pieces but didn’t seam anything because I picked up two sets of stitches to make the two front pieces.

Back View

Side View

It’s a mock wrap dress. I decided that making an actual wrap dress would make the dress too heavy and hot for the summertime. The top half was odd to knit, because my needles ended up in this spiral because I was knitting the two front layers at the same time.

I made the belt using the six-peg Clover Wonder Knitter. I can tie this belt in multiple ways, swap it out with another style, or leave it off entirely.

Belted

As something fun for myself, I made the skirt hem and sleeve hems with a contrasting color. You can’t see it from the outside, but I suppose it can be seen when I’m sitting if you’re at the right angle.

Contrasting

The trim around the neckline was done with applied I-cord.

Total time from start to finish was about five weeks, but if you exclude the ten days we were in Canada, actual knitting time was under one month.

It’s a very comfortable dress! I think it’s going to become a wardrobe staple.