All Wrapped Up, a Summer-Weight Knit Dress

I decided to design and knit a summer-weight dress out of cotton/linen blend yarn (Camila from Elann). I used US size 3 needles for the body and trim and size 1 1/2s for the inside of the hem.

All Wrapped Up

I knit the dress in pieces (front and back) from the skirt down with a provisional cast on. Then I removed the cast on and knit the top. I ended up knitting three pieces but didn’t seam anything because I picked up two sets of stitches to make the two front pieces.

Back View

Side View

It’s a mock wrap dress. I decided that making an actual wrap dress would make the dress too heavy and hot for the summertime. The top half was odd to knit, because my needles ended up in this spiral because I was knitting the two front layers at the same time.

I made the belt using the six-peg Clover Wonder Knitter. I can tie this belt in multiple ways, swap it out with another style, or leave it off entirely.

Belted

As something fun for myself, I made the skirt hem and sleeve hems with a contrasting color. You can’t see it from the outside, but I suppose it can be seen when I’m sitting if you’re at the right angle.

Contrasting

The trim around the neckline was done with applied I-cord.

Total time from start to finish was about five weeks, but if you exclude the ten days we were in Canada, actual knitting time was under one month.

It’s a very comfortable dress! I think it’s going to become a wardrobe staple.

One thought on “All Wrapped Up, a Summer-Weight Knit Dress

1. Comment from: Helena [Visitor] · http://wedoitthehardway.blogspot.com/
    Wow! It looks great!
    07/30/10 @ 23:29

Thanks, Helena! I’m happy with it. :) Now I have a knit dress to wear when it’s hot and another to wear when it’s cold!
    07/30/10 @ 23:35

Comment from: Kota Atok [Visitor] Email · http://kotaatok.blogspot.com
    Another beautiful creation

Every time you do this I am inspired.
    07/31/10 @ 03:19

Comment from: david [Visitor]
    Secretly I always like knitting but being a guy, my family frown upon it. :( I think knitting is very therapeutic and satisfying. Nice dress Amanda.
    07/31/10 @ 09:26

Comment from: Vanessa [Visitor] Email
    Love it! I love knitting but I don’t have the attention span to knit something on such small needles any more. I tip my hat to you.
    07/31/10 @ 09:57

Comment from: Kathleen [Visitor]
    So nice! Both knit dresses you’ve blogged about are beautiful. You certainly have great skill.
    07/31/10 @ 15:55

Comment from: Katie [Visitor] · http://stagestitches.blogspot.com
    Great job on the dress!! I’m always amazed at the gauge you knit at! It always seems to turn out well. And that color looks great on you!

Why did you do the skirt in pieces instead of in the round? I’m not sure I understand where you picked up stitches?
    07/31/10 @ 22:01

Thanks everyone, for the kind comments.

Kota Atok, thank you. I try to make classic knits that I can wear for years–it’s nice to know someone finds it inspiring.

David, I know a lot of guys who knit. You don’t have to do it in secret! ;)

Vanessa, the funny thing about working with small needles is that when I switch to larger ones (like, oh, size 6!), I feel like I’m knitting with boat oars.

Kathleen, thank you. I taught myself from books (I didn’t know anyone who knit, except for Mark, who knit left-handed, so I had to reteach myself from books).

Katie, I did the dress in pieces because I wanted seams to add some stability to the dress since it was a heavier gauge than the wool one, and it is a cotton/linen blend (hence, more prone to stretching, and having no memory.)

Where the belt is is where I started the skirt with a provisional cast on. I knit it in two pieces from the top down. Then I went back, removed the provisional cast on, picked up the sts for the back piece and then I picked up DOUBLE the stitches for the front two pieces. I then worked those three pieces back and forth. Then I seamed the thing together and picked up stitches around the armhole to do a set-in, top-down sleeve.

(Actually, I did about half the skirt, died of boredom, did the top, seamed the sides, went back to the skirt to finish it, and then did the sleeves.)