Writing and Grading

Good Man looked at my handwriting while I was studying Korean. “You write like a man.”

“Huh?”

“Your writing is like a man’s writing. Shroooooo, done! Vrroooom!”

“You’re crazy.”

“And your handwriting is sloppy.”

Can’t argue with that.

***

“Your grade for the day is an A!” Good Man said to me.

“A for what?”

“Your Wife Grade. What’s my Husband Grade?”

“B! For grading me in the first place!” I said.

“No, no,” he said, shaking his head, “you should just grade the same. That way there is no problem.”

One thought on “Writing and Grading

1. Comment from: HL [Visitor]
    People have told me my handwriting is like an elementary school student. It’s looked that way since, oh, elementary school :)

That makes me wonder about the relative difficulty of making Korean handwriting look “adult” vs other languages/writing systems. I mean, whenever my Japanese/Chinese classmates wrote in English/Latin they had uniform non-Western-looking-but-not-bad-looking-at-all handwriting. I mean seriously, their English handwriting was more consistent than my own. Maybe that comes from years of penmanship practice, perhaps? Maybe if I had a trace-the-한글 book my scrawl would improve?

Anyway, back to my Korean drama. I can only watch half an episode at a time before I want to throw things.
    01/19/11 @ 20:57

Good Man’s English writing is great, but his Korean is hard to read. My handwriting is messy no matter what language. I used to write lovely Korean, and then somewhere along the line my ㅈ and ㅅ started looking similar and on a really good day my ㄹcan look like a ㅈ, which takes a special kind of practice.

It’s certainly not a Korean adult scrawl. I wonder if that depends on if you come to it late in life or not.

You know, my students have started learning cursive and they are so excited about it. They feel so grown up. The thing is, I don’t know anyone under 50 who actually uses cursive on a daily basis…
    01/19/11 @ 21:20

Comment from: HL [Visitor]
    I actually use cursive/print 50/50, but I can’t think of too many people who use cursive anymore. One of my undergraduate students wrote her lab notebook in cursive, and I wanted to tell her to switch to print (but I didn’t).
    01/20/11 @ 20:38

Yeah, I do this fake print/cursive thing, too. But it’s more print than cursive.

Which drama are you watching?
    01/20/11 @ 20:52

Comment from: HL [Visitor]
    생은 아름답다 (Life is Beautiful). It’s not bad as far as K-dramas go (I had a very hard time with 꽃보다 남자 because I wanted to punch 구준표 in the face just about every episode–which would have meant breaking my computer screen), but the way the grandfather acts–he’s a dick, basically–and the fact that despite the crap he put his family through they still have to obey him because he’s their father even if that means hiding him from the grandmother. But…besides that, it’s good for learning gender/social roles (listening to the 존댓말) and picking up new Korean.
    01/22/11 @ 19:23

I loved Boys Before Flowers in a “this is brain candy and these plot twists are so ridiculous that nobody could ever believe this silly story, but the scenery is pretty and the drama is fun” way. I HATED Jun Pyo, too. He was such a jerk. I wanted her to end up with the orange-haired flower boy and actually refused to watch the episode for a long time because I knew she wasn’t going to.

I watched Sam Soon and liked that one, although again, the whole “which girl should he go for” thing annoyed me. I adored the mom in Sam Soon! She was awesome. And so much like my mother-in-law.

I’m on Coffee Prince right now and enjoying that one. I think Damo is going to be next on tap.
    01/22/11 @ 20:01