Hot Spots and Dragonflies

Good Man and I went hiking (more like trail walking) yesterday. We went to Scott’s Run Nature Preserve. It was our first time there and we basically did an in-and-out rather than a loop. The Preserve is very close to our house and I was surprised to find such a park so close to the Beltway. The weather was cool, misty, and overcast. It was pretty much perfect hiking weather.

Good Man’s Kim Jong Il Point

As I’ve described before, I was raised in a hiking/camping/fossil-finding family. Real camping, with no running water and no showers. I invited a friend camping and she showed up with tons of makeup in case we met cute boys. I was confused; I had no idea that some people considered camping going to a campground with running water and boys. Although Good Man hiked in the Scouts a bit, and in the military (a bit—he apparently mostly found ways out of it), he didn’t have the same childhood “get back to nature” experiences I did.

Perhaps it’s cultural. America’s urbanization and move from farm to city was much earlier (relatively speaking) than Korea’s, and America had that whole Manifest Destiny thing going on. Maybe that accounts for part of it.

Inchworm Inching Up Its Thread

In any case Good Man and I have lived here nearly three years, and we haven’t done much nature exploring. I finally decided to drag Good Man on some short hikes, so last week we went to REI and got him some actual hiking boots. Those old sneakers he tries to wear just weren’t going to cut it.

In the Woods

Before we headed out, I told Good Man he should at least wear his boots around the house for an hour or so to help break them in. He told me he didn’t need to. I was doubtful, but thought, Fine, he can find out on his own when he gets a blister.

You know where this is headed, right? Good Man had absolutely no problems, while I got a hot spot wearing ten-year old, broken-in boots. That’s just not fair.

Small Streams

Flowers

Scott’s Run Waterfall

Me

The hike down to the waterfall was pleasant and the park wasn’t very crowded. We walked along the river for a bit. When we saw this tire, Good Man said, “Hmm, I wonder who drove here?” You’d think someone would drag the tire out of the park.

Tire(d)

I also found a bunch of very slow-moving dragonflies. Good Man shook his head, “No, no, no, Amanda…”

Dragonfly

Beauty Shot

Any time I stop to take a picture of insects or animals or flowers or… Good Man sighs, “My wife is a country girl. My wife should not be teacher. My wife should be insect person.”

“Entomologist.”

“Sure.”

“Don’t you find nature interesting?”

“It is what it is. It goes on. I do not need to take pictures.”

I poked him. “When we met you said you liked photography and that my Korean would improve if I hung out with a Korean guy like you. You lied.”

Good Man shrugged, “But I got you! So it worked! 짜잔~!”

Black and White

The Eyes Have It

“Oh, my wife…”

“You chose me! 짜잔~!”

One thought on “Hot Spots and Dragonflies

1. Comment from: Helena [Visitor] · http://wedoitthehardway.blogspot.com/
    Oooh, nice! I would take pictures of it too.

Hey, have you heard about this Kimchi Chronicles show on PBS?
    05/18/11 @ 00:58

Comment from: admin [Member]
    No, I haven’t. What’s it about?
    05/18/11 @ 07:23

Comment from: Jonathan in Siheung [Visitor]
    Hi Amanda! Nice pics as usual. I agree with you — camping is defined by no showers, no running water (except for babbling streams and such) and a walk from the car of at least a couple of miles. So did you get really close to that dragonfly or was that some zoom lens action?

Tried and failed to ID that flower, it’s been a while since my herbaceous identification classes…
    05/18/11 @ 08:48

Comment from: admin [Member]
    Well, when we lived in Minnesota and went up to “the land,” we didn’t hike miles in from the car, but we did have to hike in and the car was always parked way down at the end of the road and we rarely used it. Heh.

I was pretty much as close as I could get to the dragonflies with my 50mm lens. I was ~16″ from the dragonflies. I did crop down in Lightroom.

As for the flower–I really need a general field guide to Virginia or something. Time to hunt a book down at the library.
    05/18/11 @ 20:09

Comment from: Lu [Visitor]
    LOL. “짜잔!” I’ve never seen it written out before. (I don’t get out much, I guess.) Anyway, great photos! I love the inchworm. I was just thinking a week or two ago that I used to see them all the time when I was a little kid, hanging from trees (the worms, I mean), and I haven’t seen one in years. Nice photography.
    05/18/11 @ 21:34

Comment from: admin [Member]
    Lu, when I asked Good Man how to spell it, he said it was his sort of word. I don’t know how common it is, but it’s sort of like his “ta-da!” or “there you have it,” or “I am right.” It all depends on context. Ha ha!
    05/18/11 @ 21:57

Comment from: Lu [Visitor]
    :) I’ve heard “jja-jan!” before (in movies, maybe?) but never saw it written. Good Man is cute. :)
    05/19/11 @ 22:45

Comment from: Lu [Visitor]
    P.S. About the “Kimchi Chronicles,” it’s a show coming on PBS soon that’s supposed to be a kind of culinary tour of Korea. It’s researched and hosted by the Korean (mixed Korean, maybe?) wife of chef Jean Georges Vongerichten. They’ve been touting it for months, and I thought it was supposed to be on starting in January, but it looks like maybe over the summer now …
    05/19/11 @ 22:47

Comment from: HL [Visitor]
    I adore hiking. Good for you!

While I would agree that real camping does not involve running water and showers, some of us need our hands held as we transition into roughing it (I raise my hand at that). I would also argue that camping, at least the pull-in site version, is a primarily middle-class activity, hence why I did it all of twice before college. I’m sure that I could have roughed it with my family (seeing as my parents were born right around the Korean War), but I think my parents are from the Korean school of thought where the “good ol’ days” weren’t really that good, so why go back to that?

But a really nice aspect about camping Korean-style: Shin Ramyeon for dinner!
    05/21/11 @ 18:32

Comment from: admin [Member]
    We were most definitely NOT middle class when my dad dragged us around camping, and when we went camping with Mom and George up on the land. I know a lot of my friends camped growing up, but I don’t know what class they were.

But I grew up in a family that went fossil hunting on the Mississippi River for fun, and we used to go to the county parks for stargazing, etc. So for me, hiking, camping, stargazing, going to the Badlands for spring break, driving around in an old truck from state park to state park, were all part of growing up. I know a lot of people don’t come from that experience. Because I was raised that way, however, I was utterly confused when that chick whose name I can’t even recall showed up with tons of makeup, especially since I had explained that we would be camping and pooping in a hole. It wasn’t until she showed up with all that makeup that I realized that what I thought was camping was not what other people thought camping was.

I’m all for starting small–that’s why we started on this easy trail. :)

And your point about the Korean War is exactly what I meant when I said that culture probably plays a part in it. Korea also doesn’t have that whole Manifest Destiny thing we had, and I’m pretty sure they didn’t have the influence we had from WALDEN, etc.
    05/21/11 @ 20:32