While Good Man was working on the closet, I decided to work on the kitchen window.
Our kitchen has a window facing the street, which is covered with blinds from Blinds Galore (good experience, for the record!). And then we have the window on the door, which was covered with some plastic, cheapo, stick-on “blind” as the window treatment.
The window is made up of a cover that makes “panes.” I decided to unscrew the “panes” so I could put a piece of rice paper film over the entire window at one time.
This was not my greatest idea, because the entire window started to fall out. Ahhh, duh. The “pane” divider is what actually mounts the window in place. I called Good Man in to help, interrupting him while we was working on the closet.
(He really, really didn’t like me in that moment. He called me “Reverse Midas.”)
I did realize that the rice paper wasn’t going to be enough coverage, so at least some good came from the experience.
We used frosted film and applied it. It didn’t turn out perfectly, but it turned out good enough. I realized if the choice was between perfection and completion, I was going to go for completion.
Completion, however, was short-lived. A few days later, I removed two “panes” and redid them. They still aren’t perfect, but they are much better. (I don’t have a photo.)
While I let the window “breathe,” I worked on removing the adhesive from the cheapo blinds.
Douse with Goo Gone, wait a few minutes, scrape, repeat. For over an hour. If we ever buy another house with that stuff on it, I am knocking hundreds of dollars off of our offer price. Those blinds are evil.
Finally, I got enough adhesive off to be happy.
The two faux panes are since re-filmed (and those bubbles are pressed out), and I can walk in the kitchen without worrying about the neighbors seeing me. Tonight, Good Man opened the door and startled me. The frosted film really does let light in but block the view!
While I was working on the closet rod, Good Man worked on the thermostat, which has been loosely hanging off the wall since Dad painted, way back in August.
It was an easy fix, but since I managed to knock the wires out of place last time (cutting off the AC), and I wasn’t sure how to fix it, I just kept putting it off. Good Man took care of it for me. Thumbs up for him.
(Wow, I really need to Windex the heck out of that thermostat and find the cover for it.)
Good Man Gives a Thumbs Up
This house was built for a cat. We have a cat tunnel, a cat perch, a sealed-up cat pass-through (I think) and a cat door.
The cat door is blocked from the inside, so the cat can’t get out, and a raccoon can’t get in. But it is very, very drafty. And I know insects can get through the house through the door, too. (We had a Cricket Death Corner of the basement this summer. I think I know how they arrived.)
Front of the Door
Back of the Door
Really Filthy Inside of the Door
So Good Man and I worked together to fill it with DapTex foam. It worked! It’s no longer drafty. A cheap fix, but good enough for now!
Foam-Filled Cat Door